Sunday, April 12, 2020

Comfort Hive: How to Build it, How to Add Bees With Wild Bees or From a Langstroth Hive

If you have been following this page you no doubt witnessed my utter failure a couple of weeks ago with a swarm I caught in a bucket, and then lost them after putting them in a Comfort hive. If not, you can go here and watch my excitement turn to sorrow here...
After my second failed attempt at getting the Comfort hive going I finally realized what happened. I believe that the queen made it out through the queen excluder and the right out the front door. The second time I put a queen above the queen excluder and a screen over the front door for three days. After three days I took the screen off. Well, I'm not 100% certain when they left, but I think maybe they were already gone when I pulled the screen off the front door which tells me she was able to squeeze out between the boxes in a gap I had overlooked.
So, this led to a third attempt at getting a Comfort hive started from scratch. In this video I take you through the entire process from building the box, making a drip feeder, and then adding the bees. At the bottom of this page you will find Amazon links to different items you will need to build this type of hive. Please pay special attention to the link for the skewers as they are difficult to find the correct size in any large quantity at local stores here in my area. You may find them near you, but stores here do not carry the right size for this project, so to simplify the process I have provided the link. Links for the other items are also provided for your convenience though you likely can find them locally.
Back to the video, after getting the queen in the box I completely screened up the entrance and then made certain that there was no way she could leave. I took wax and sealed around the bottom of the box in a couple of spots that the box wasn't flush with the bottom tile. I don't think a bee could fit through there, but I wanted to make certain. They will be locked in for a solid week. I want to make certain that they have plenty of time to start building comb. They do have a feeder with 1:1 sugarwater, but I will increase that to 2:1 in the next refill.
The video is a bit long, so fast forward through what you're not interested in watching.  I will be making more videos on building the Comfort hive, adding some ideas of my own from time to time.

Thank you Sam Comfort for sharing your idea with the world! God bless you!!

1. These are the correct skewers-Jacent Jumbo 12 Inch Bamboo Skewers. 50 Count per Pack, 1 Pack

2. This is the best bubblewrap for Comfort Hives-Reflectix BP24010 Series Foil Insulation, 24 in. x 10 ft

3. This is what I use to weatherproof my boxes. It needs to be BOILED not raw-Sunnyside Corporation 872G1S Boiled Linseed Oil, Gallon

4. The non-toxic glue that I use-Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue, 16-Ounces 1414

5. The best tool for cutting skewers-Klein Tools D248-8 Diagonal Cutters, Multi Purpose High Leverage Linesman Pliers with Angled Head, Standard Cut, 8-Inch Short Jaw

6. Bit for drilling through ceramic tile-DEWALT Masonry Drill Bit, Impact Ready, 3/16-Inch X 4-Inch X 6-Inch (DWA5101)

7. Food grade 3/16 inch hose for feeder-3/16" ID Silicon Tubing, CellarBrew Food Grade Silicon Tubing 3/16" ID x 5/16" OD 10 Feet High Temp Pure Silicone Hose Tube for Home Brewing Winemaking

8. Food grade silicon for sealing hose to mason jar lid-Silicone RTV 4500 Food Contact Safe High Strength Silicone Sealant, Clear (2.8 FL. Ounce)

9. 1 quart mason jar feeders-Ball Mason Jars 32 oz Bundle with Non Slip Jar Opener- Set of 4 Quart Size Mason Jars with Regular Mouth - Canning Glass Jars with Lids, Heritage Collection


1 comment:

The Blackbeekeeper said...

Hello I watched your videos on the comfort hives but you are using different dimensions in them which is the correct size 1” or 2”? Also 12.5 “ for all 4 or for the 2 inside 11” and the 2 outside 13”

How To Build A Pollen Trap For A Comfort Hive For Less That $5

I'm gonna show you a very simple and inexpensive pollen trap. This trap is to be used on Comfort Hives, Top-Bar hives, or any hive with ...